6/30/2011

Round Two: Winning Isn't Everything

To begin with, I must apologize for my late post. I've been putting this post off for a couple days now because I had to rethink the events of the night and put them into perspective before reporting them.

For starters, my Chaplain tied for third place in the painting competition. Sort of. He actually placed fourth because his competitor had a painted base and knocked him out of the top three bracket. I can understand, to an extent. Overall, sure, the other model was about the same quality but with a done-up base.

However, they never notified us that bases would be a factor of the painting competition. And I refuse to paint or decorate my bases. It's not a matter of laziness or lack of creativity, I just feel like the bases better represent the model's shadow. Black matches everything, from volcanic lava fields to snowy plains. I don't want to put grass on a base and have him play a desert game. Does this make sense?

I also don't want to take away from the model. The black base makes the model itself stand out more, like a picture frame would for a painting. I like that.

But I will not put down those who do their bases. It's a matter of preference, and if someone wants to do it, go for it.

My biggest issue is the summer league's main rule is all models must be fully painted. They made no mention of the basing. So I was clearly not expecting to be downgraded because of my choice in modeling.

And to add to the frustration of it, it seems rather lazy or cheap on the organizers' part to not accept a draw. It's not like I came in first or even second.

But anyway, had I been a judge, I would've chosen the other kid's model as well. Honestly I think his was better to begin with and I'm amazed I "tied" with him. I just wish they informed us that bases would be considered in painting score.

The games themselves went pretty bad. Dan and Jack lost (they did last week, too). I lost, and had probably one of the worst games I've played in a while. Tactically, I did well. Rolling, I did even better. My opponent, however, brought a tournament mindset to the event which wasn't fun at all.

It was my understanding that the summer league is about two things: having fun playing 40K in a pseudo-competitive series of games, and fielding fully painted armies. Last week's game was fun. I rolled almost all ones and twos, but I had a good time doing it.

The whole "win at all costs" mentality is the reason I stray from tournaments. I like to win, but I don't mind losing either. I play this game for fun, not for anything else. I know most people assume I play 40K for the chicks, but I can assure you it's for the laughs.

Regardless, the end score was 12-9 (KP). I did pretty well but fell short. Oh well.

We'll see how next week's game goes. Hopefully it's a better experience. So far I'm contemplating not joining the next league.

No comments:

Post a Comment