4/26/2011

I Bring the Suffering

My luck has to run out pretty soon because, for the second week in a row, I won tonight's game by tabling my opponent.

Although, I have to clarify a few things first. My opponent, Tobin, was fielding Blood Angels. And it was his first game of Warhammer 40,000. However, he's migrating to 40K from Warmachine, so he has a pretty good grasp already of how tabletop games work.

This was my first game using Captain Killmatic. To my surprise, he managed to absolutely tear through Tobin's 10-man Assault Squad and most of a 5-man Tactical Squad before finally going down from a Librarian's force staff.

And I finally managed to battle the new Stormraven unit too. When all was said and done, though, the Stormraven was shaken, shaken, and then blew up without doing so much as move halfway across the board. Shame, really. It did drop a Furioso Dreadnought onto the table after, though.

Different angles tell the story best.

The only real flaw I saw in his tactics was how he deep struck his reserves. He had a squad of Death Company and a squad of Sanguinary Guard in reserve, and they came in on different turns. Well, actually, both came in the same turn, but one scattered into impassable terrain and misshapped, luckily getting a 'delayed' result. Regardless, he dropped the squads right into the middle of my forces. While this is usually a good tactic for something like my Dreadnought in a Drop Pod, his melee-oriented squads were unable to assault, making them sitting ducks to my entire army's fire power.

And so, they didn't last more than a turn each. I explained to him after that - since they have jump packs - they could've deep struck behind some kind of cover that hid them (like a building wall), and then moved up to 12" and assaulted another 6" on his next turn.

It was a good game overall though. And he went down like a true trooper and not a sore loser.

No comments:

Post a Comment