5/02/2010

Two Birds

Gaming today was really fun. I met a new player at the Whiz: Matt. He plays Tyranids and Eldar, and has painted most of his models (the Eldar especially well).

Josh, Garret, and Chris were also there today, but Chris was way too hungover to play, plus I guess he left most of his Chaos Marines at home by accident.

Given the circumstances, Josh, Matt, Garret and I all decided to play a two-on-two match (1,000 points per player, team-shared Force Organization Charts but with the exception of each player guaranteed an HQ and two Troops). The match type was Seize Ground, and the deployment Dawn of War.

It was Garret (Tau) and Josh (Eldar) versus Matt (Tyranids) and me (Space Marines).

Needless to say, it was quite interesting to play against the new champion Garret and my nemesis Josh in a single game. Not only that, but Matt and I won!

I have to admit our success depended mostly on the fact that our tactics complemented each other very well.

The one thing I've noticed most of all in two-on-two games is that they tend to split the board into two different games. Usually it becomes one player against another, almost like there's separate games going on but sharing the same board. We used that to our advantage.

Matt's Tyranids went after Josh's Eldar, and my Space Marines went up against Garret's Tau.

At first, Garret's Tau damaged my force pretty badly by taking out two of my three Land Speeders and killing off some of my infantry. Vengefully, however, my army struck back and took a bite out of his force.

And, in an epic fight, Commander Shinra fought in a five-turn melee with Commander O'Shovah plus his Crisis Suit retinue.

I was incredibly impressed with my Commander's performance in the combat, as not only did he single-handedly take out all three of the Crisis Suits in two turns, but when it came down to just Shinra against O'Shovah, they dueled for three turns before managing to actually kill each other simultaneously! It was an amazing battle, and ended tragically but triumphantly.

And speaking of Garret, I'm thankful I was able to play him today, as tomorrow he's moving back to Long Island, NY, for the summer. Apparently he's only in the area for college. This is a shame for three reasons:

    1) He'll remain champion, uncontested, for the entire summer.
    2) I didn't get the chance to take any pictures of his Tau, which are painted a pretty badass black and red (his color scheme is almost the polar opposite of mine).
    3) I won't be able to battle him again for a while.

The pro to #3's con is that I have all summer to practice. Perhaps by the fall I'll have honed my skills and become a better general? Only time will tell.

But today was a lot of fun, and it was a good game. And did I mention that my team won?! To take down the champion and my nemesis at the same time is truly a great feeling.

Tomorrow night I'll be going back to the Whiz, since it's painting night and I know the guys will be there. I might play a game, but I also might paint. My Drop Pod needs finishing, and I've grabbed a few primed but unpainted models that I want to get done as well (Terminators and a couple heavy weapons Marines).

Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment